Gran Canaria (Las Palmas) Airport (LPA) History
At the end of the First World War, the Frenchman Pierre George Latécoére obtained authorization from the French and Spanish governments to establish an airline that would unite France with its African colonies and South America. The first section of this line, Toulouse-Casablanca, was inaugurated in 1919 with stops at the airports of Barcelona, Alicante, and Malaga. For the second section, Casablanca-Dakar, the Canary Islands are thought of as a point of support and link with America. In April 1930, a royal order declared the national airport land and maritime facilities that were built in Gando.
In 1933, the first flight with passengers was made and in 1935 this route became the Madrid-Canarias line. The first navigation aids were installed at the end of 1934. So, the operation of a radio station for the service of Gando airport was authorized. Between 1944 and 1946 the passenger terminal building was built. There the offices of the airlines located in the facilities of the Lanzarote Air Base were moved. So, civilian and military activities were separated. In July 1946 were passed a decree that declared the airport to be open to every national and international traffic, and the airport was qualified as a customs airport.
In 1948, the first works of the first 700 meters of the runway started, which, in June 1957, was extended to 2,000 meters, all of them with tarmac surface. With this extension, the airport was classified as the second category. That same year, works began to improve the facilities of the control tower, the power station, and visual navigation aids. In 1960 the runway was extended to 3100 meters. A year later, the installation of a VOR (Unidirectional Radio beacon) and the construction of a rescue and services park were carried out. With these improvements, the airport became to be the first class. After this, year, after years were done even more construction works to make the extensions in the airport.